!TAKE THE SURVEY!
The TB-303 is a real Character http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5gacnQouSU
- I'm Jonnay, welcome to season 2!
- Wow does the topic look mathy
- It's not that hard, and pretty fascinating actually
- Intro song
- You've probably heard about how tubes make music sound good. Audiophiles go nuts over tube amps.
- vacuum tubes, the start of the electronic age
- is the only word with double u's in english
- Mixing engineers have their own outboard gear they love that have tubes
- But why? and why is this important? Thats what we're looking at today
- Question Marks
- These things are part of the "magic of analog" and what makes analog sound "so good".
- (hipster - sunglasses - even my pants are vinyl)
- what happens is they add "harmonic" imperfections. I'm going to show you the magic behind that
- the key to all of this is something called a "transfer function"
- (title… underline fun)
- So lets start with something simple like a sine wave
- And it gets converted to numbers.
- A transfer function is a graph like this.
- The x axis is the amplitude (or value) of the sine wave
- the y axis is the output amplitude
- yea… a bit mathey.
- Anyway, if we have a line like this, we have hte "identity function"
- f(x) = x
- Any input is exactly the same output.
- draw same bunny in, same bunny out - show dotted lines
- What happens when we choose a different line, how about this?
- Brutal almost vertical line
- show how sine wave turns into square
- See how the waveform there is completely distorted?
- So this is where I talk about transistors, and Tubes again.
- due to the physics of these devices, especially the tubes, what goes in doesn't come out the same on the way out
- all kinds of factors, including things like materials used in the transistor or tube, which production run it is in, and how long the device has been powered even will affect the transfer curve
- sounds familiar, then you'll remember me saying the same thing about the TB-303 and it's components.
- If you have a saturator plugin for your DAW, these things do exactly what i am talking about, and now you know how!
- Tips for single guys, from Justine